Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

A look back...a look forward


Four years ago yesterday (I meant to have this up before midnight...oh well), Nathan and I got married and started our new life together.  When we were still in the preliminary phases of this new life, actually before the vows were even said, Nathan told me he wanted at least two years before we started trying to have children, so that we could get to know each other as spouses before we had to start figuring out who we were as parents.

I grumbled about this quite a bit and resisted for a little, but eventually I let it go.  I was ready to be a mom right away,but if he wanted some time I decided I should let him have it.  And I have to say, I'm really glad I did.  We have had a great four years of just spending time with each other learning about the ins and outs of early marriage.  We still surprise each other, we still amuse each other, we still generally enjoy being together.

And I don't know if we would have had all that we do now if we started having children right away.  But I consider it fitting that, yesterday, on our fourth anniversary, we were in Addison at an adoption seminar (part of our 16 hours of training).  We had our two years plus and they were great, wonderful and exciting.  Now, we're both ready to move onto the next phase of our life together.  We are ready to be parents.  It may not be happening quite like we had envisioned it, but everytime I read or hear about a successful adoption story, I get a little thrill of excitement thinking about how that is going to be us one day.

We are very blessed that we have family and friends who support us in each phase of our life together and will continue to do so, no matter where the process takes us. 

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, children change you. Things you never had to deal with when it was just the two of you, you now have to, so now there's a whole new set of things to figure out.

    I'm not discrediting what you've accomplished thus far, I'm just telling you to not get compfy. ;)

    ReplyDelete