Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kitty Sign Language


We've had a cat now for almost two years, and I've learned a few things about them, or at least about Hecate and Hyperion.

When Hecate needs to use the litter box, she needs it NOW and if it is unavailable, or below her standards, she will use whatever box is at hand. Fortunately, she does give us a few signals first. Usually a fairly reticent animal, she will become vocal and clingy, wandering around my feet and whining. Then she climbs into whatever box is nearby. She did that the other day when the litter box's cleanliness was not up to her standards. I noticed her start to squat and jumped up to clean the litter box. Cats always seem to get what they want.

Every day, when I sit down at my computer to start looking through the job listings, almost without fail, Hyperion will decide that is the very second he needs attention. He'll come sit by my chair and whine, and for such a big cat, he has a very small high pitched whine. Then he'll wander closer to the chair and try to rub his cheek on my foot or hand, or whatever is closest.

Ever since we moved, and are now at ground-level, instead of the second floor, Hyperion's main activity seems to be looking out the window. And opening the blinds, as in making them lay flat so you can see out, is not enough for him. He'll pull a few slats down with his paw and stick his head through them so he can see better. I call him "nosy neighbor kitty." I haven't been able to get a picture of him doing it yet, but it is vaguely hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing apictures of Hyperion spying on the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete