Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mission Knittin'

You should see the basket sitting on the end table next to our couch.  It is filled with half-used balls of yarn.  And then there is another basket in the cabinets in our bedroom that is also mostly full of half-used balls of yarn.  Seriously, they are everywhere.  I have usually have no idea what to do with them.

I eliminated quite a few when I made a scrap blanket, but it's not very big and we use it to line Hyperion's travel carrier.  I've started a second that I think we'll use in Hecate's carrier, but there has to be a better way to use fragment yarn.

And I think I've found it.  I love making things for my family and myself.  The look of appreciation on my sister's face at Christmas when she opened the hat and wristers I made for her was pretty great.  But there is a whole other group of people I think I should be making things for. 

All of these partial-skeins can be put to good use and I encourage anyone who feels the same to join me.  I am going to attempt to use my yarn fragments to make hats for newborn babies at hospitals.  Or for children and mothers and give them to domestic violence shelters.  Or mittens and gloves (as soon as I learn to make fingers) and hats for homeless shelters.  There are several large groups of people who could  do with good warm mittens or hats or whatever.  And now that I've started mastering using color, they can also be something nice to look at, something to be proud of. 

I'm thinking of starting a blog to chronicle the progress of this new mission....

No comments:

Post a Comment